Are you looking for an ergonomic chair for tall person and wondering how to find the right fit? It can be just as difficult to find the best desk chair for a tall person individuals as well.
By their very nature, ergonomic products should accommodate your unique shape, no matter your body type. There is no shame in using specialized office equipment or furniture to meet your needs!
The best way to know if a chair suits your body type, of course, is to try as many as you can and find the chair that feels right. But in the absence of that luxury, with the pandemic keeping a lot of people home and opting to shop online instead, there are still some key metrics you can consider to find ergonomic chairs for big and tall people, as well as gaming chairs for big guys.
Office Chair for Tall People - Ergonomic Factors
When sitting in an ergonomic chair, your posture is crucial. Here are some key factors to consider:
- The base of your spine should meet the base of the back of your chair. This way, the lumbar curve support mechanisms are most effective and will follow the natural curve of your back.
- Your arms should be placed parallel to your side, bent outward at a 90 degree angle where they should rest comfortably on the surface of your desk.
- Feet should rest flat on the floor, with your legs bent at a 90 degree angle. The chair should be adjustable up to a height that matches the length of your lower leg, from your knee to the bottom of your feet. Most adjustable chairs have a height range of 18-23 inches.
- The headrest should be tall enough to cradle the back of your neck for added support.
Know Your Measurements for Suitable Office Chair for Tall People
Of course, before you start looking at office chairs for tall man, you should know your own body measurements as well. Most of us know our height, but that’s only the beginning. You’ll also want to measure these to have a best desk chair for a tall person:
- The height of your back from the base of your spine to your shoulders (Measurement 1).
- The length of your thighs from waist to knee (Measurement 2).
- The length from your knees to the bottom of your feet (Measurement 3).
- If you are a plus sized person, you’ll need to measure the length of your waist to know if the chair you’re considering can accommodate the extra space you’ll need. This is important since you’ll be looking at not only maximum seat height, but the width and depth of the seat as well
If you haven’t already, take some time to take your measurements and note them for your own reference.
Look for Detailed Chair Measurements
When you’re considering an office chair for tall people, be sure to look up the specific measurements of the chair. They can usually be found on the product page, but you may need to click through a link to see all the dimensions in more detail.
The ErgoChair Pro from Autonomous is one example of a chair that includes detailed specifications on its product page. You’ll want to look at the maximum height, as ergonomic chairs are highly adjustable and can be raised or lowered according to each individual’s needs.
Is the ErgoChair Pro right for you?
Now for the tricky part. Is the ErgoChair Pro, or another office chair or gaming chair, the right fit for you? You’ll need to go back and check those measurements you made at the start and compare them to the chair specifications on the product page.
The height of your knees should match that of the seat from the ground. The max height for the ErgoChair Pro is 20 inches, so if your legs are longer, you may need to consider a taller option.
When you consider the seat width, it should be wide enough to accommodate your waist measurement, but close enough for you to make use of the arm rests. The width of the seat and back of the ErgoChair Pro is 21 inches. Take this into consideration to determine whether the width is sufficient and whether you will be able to make use of the arm rests.
The height of the back of the ErgoChair Pro is 22 inches. Compare to your own back height and you’ll know whether the length of this office chair for tall people is tall enough for you. If it is, you’ll no doubt find the adjustable headrest able to meet the back of your neck easily.
Finally, an ErgoChair Pro can support weight up to 300 pounds. If your weight exceeds this amount, you will need to look for an ergonomic chair for a tall person with greater load capacity.
15 Best Office Chairs for Tall People Available in the Market
Here are the 15 best office chair options that you can consider while picking the best chair for any tall person.
1. Autonomous ErgoChair Pro
Autonomous ErgoChair Pro can be considered the best office chair for tall people. This chair has the most flexible design with all sorts of adjustments that ensure you have a fully customized experience. This is such a good comfortable office chair for long hours for you. The headrest is adjustable, so you won’t face any problem adjusting it to your height.
- Made using durable materials
- Comfortable cushioned seat
2. Autonomous ErgoChair Recline
Autonomous ErgoChair Recline is designed to provide the best work experience to office workers who are concerned about their workplace ergonomics. All features are so well aligned that you get a holistic ergonomic experience. From adjustable armrest to efficient lumbar support, Autonomous ErgoChair Recline has it all.
- All features are customizable.
- Cost-effective choice
- Mesh back for a breathable work experience
3. Autonomous ErgoChair Plus
If you are among those office workers who are looking for a comfortable office chair for long hours, ErgoChair Plus is the right choice for you. This chair has a flexible backrest designed using a TPE material. Overall, the chair has a highly flexible build, but it lacks a headrest.
- Adjustable armrest
- Fishbone designed back is great for treating back pain
- Durable enough for a long-term use
4. Secretlab Titan Office Chair
Secretlab Titan Chair is a leather gaming chair that comes with a tall comfortable backrest and seat, so it is one of the best office chairs for a tall man. The chair is available in three different colors, so you can choose the color that goes well with your office setup. Although it is a gaming chair, you can use it for your office too.
- Maximum weight capacity of 390lbs
- Purposely built for tall people
- Wider and longer armrest
5. Starspace Executive Office Chair
Starspace Executive Office Chair is an ergonomic chair for a tall person. This chair is designed using high-quality leather. The foamed seat and back make it further comfortable for you.
- 6-inch thick cold foamed seat
- Wide armrests
- Suitable for people who have a height between 6’ – 6’10”
6. Gabrylly Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair
Gabrylly Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair is crafted to provide a more breathable experience to office workers. Being one of the tallest office chairs, you can consider it while shopping for office chairs for tall men. However, the mesh seat might be stiff for some users.
- Adjustable neck rest
- Tall back
7. Humanscale Freedom Office Chair
The Humanscale Freedom Office Chair can be a considerable office chair for tall people. This chair comes with a self-adjusting reclining feature that conforms with your body’s curvature and weight. Overall, you get a comfortable work experience.
- Adjustable headrest
- Features a nice lumbar support
- A pricey option
8. Herman Miller Aeron Ergonomic Office Chair
Herman Miller Aeron Office Chair is an all-mesh chair that is designed to support your back while you work longer hours. The seat's design is such that you do not feel much strain on your lower back while sitting.
- 12-year warranty
- Mesh seat might not be comfortable for everyone
- Fewer color options are available
9. OFM Plush High Back Office Chair
OFM Plush High Back Office Chair is a considerable ergonomic office chair for a tall person. This office chair for tall people comes with an affordable price tag, so you can consider it if you have a stiff budget. Overall, the chair is stuffed with a plush cushion to give you a comfortable experience.
- Features decent ergonomic features
- The high back is suitable for tall people
- Features a nice lumbar support
10. NOUHAUS ErgoDraft Ergonomic Office Chair
NOUHAUS ErgoDraft Ergonomic Office Chair is the best drafting chair for standing desks. You can add it to your office furniture if you are looking for a reliable drafting chair that has all the ergonomic features that make any chair suitable for a tall person.
- Breathable mesh back
- Adjustable seat height and armrests
11. Steelcase Series 1 Ergonomic Office Chair
This is one of the best desk chairs for a tall person you must have. Steelcase Series 1 Ergonomic Office Chair is a considerable option if you are looking for office chairs for tall men. Since Steelcase is a reliable brand, you can trust its quality. Overall, the chair comes with basic adjustable features, so you get a nice work experience.
- Adjustable seat depth
- Nice lumbar support
12. SIDIZ T50 Office Chair
SIDIZ T50 Ergonomic Office Chair has all the features that are vital for maintaining a better posture while you work longer hours. The mesh back keeps you cool while sitting, while the sloppy seat reduces strain on your thighs. Overall, this is a mid-range ergonomic office chair for a tall person.
- Adjustable lumbar support
- Adjustable headrest
- Features a tilt tension mechanism that allows you to recline easily
13. ELABEST Ergonomic Office Chair
This is another best office chair for tall people. ELABEST Ergonomic Office Chair provides a good value. The seat comes with a high resilience sponge seat cushion that ensures you get a comfortable work experience. Overall, the chair features decent adjustable features that ensure you have a healthy experience.
- Adjustable height
- It can be assembled easily
14. Komene Ergonomic Office Chair
Komene Ergonomic Office Chair is yet another office chair for tall people that is available at an affordable price. Its curved back helps the chair conform with your natural curvature. Overall, this chair can be a decent choice.
- Armrests are not adjustable but can be flipped away
- Maximum weight lifting capacity of 300lbs
- 5-year warranty
15. Bowery Management Office Chair
Bowery Management Office Chair is a unique ergonomic chair for a tall person. This chair comes with a breathable elastomer backrest to keep you comfortable and relaxed. The chair's design is such that you would love to have it as your desk chair.
- Adjustable seat depth
- Cushion might be quite firm for some users.
- The backrest's height would be short for some tall users.
Added note: Ergonomic Chair for Short Person
If you are shorter than average, you may have different concerns. While all the above advice applies to you, you’ll need to consider whether a chair can lower itself sufficiently for your height. If your legs don’t touch the ground or your feet can’t rest flat, you may be able to fix this by using an ergonomic stool. Just be sure your feet can at least skim the ground so you can get in and out of the chair independently.
The back of the chair can’t be lengthened or shortened, so if your back height is shorter than the back of the chair, you won’t be able to make use of the headrest. You may find an ergonomic headrest pillow used for car seats to be a suitable alternative.
Knowing how to sit ergonomically will guide you in understanding which measurements to take and what to look for when you search for an office chair for tall people. And if you find that extremely difficult, you may need to seek help from an occupational therapist or physical therapist to find equipment that works especially for you.
To our tall readers, we ask you: what are some of your favorite ergonomic office tools and chairs? What have you found that works for you? Be sure to share in the comments below, and hope that this article will help you find the suitable ErgoChair for tall person.
You May Also Like