Great Memorial Day Decoration Ideas for Your Home
Memorial Day is a time for remembering and honoring those who have sacrificed themselves in service to our country. It's also a time for gathering with friends and family and celebrating the start of summer. Making Memorial Day decorations can help set the tone for the occasion and create a festive atmosphere.
In this article, we will talk about some great Memorial Day decorations and ideas to inspire you, but first, let's look at the story of this highly important day.
What Is Memorial Day?
Memorial Day, originally known as Decoration Day, is a federal holiday in the United States celebrated on the last Monday of May. It is a day to remember and honor the men and women who have died while serving in the U.S. military.
The origins of Memorial Day can be traced back to the American Civil War. Following the war, a group of Union veterans established the Grand Army of the Republic, a fraternal organization for veterans of the Union Army. The group's leader, General John A. Logan declared May 30, 1868, a day for decorating the graves of those who died during the war, calling it "Decoration Day."
Moreover, the first Decoration Day happened at Arlington National Cemetery, where 5,000 people came to decorate the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers buried there. Over the years, the holiday evolved to honor all American military personnel who have died in service to their country.
In 1971, Congress declared Memorial Day a federal holiday to be celebrated on the last Monday in May. Today, Americans honor Memorial Day by attending parades, visiting cemeteries, and participating in patriotic events.
Memorial Day is important because it allows Americans to reflect on the sacrifices made by the men and women who have served in the U.S. military. It is a day to honor those who have given their lives for their country and to pay tribute to their courage and sacrifice.
In addition, Memorial Day serves as a reminder of the importance of preserving the freedoms the United States was founded upon. It is a day to remember that the price of freedom is high and honor those who have paid it.
Overall, Memorial Day is a time for Americans to come together to honor and remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country and to reflect on the values that make America great.
20 Memorial Day Decoration Ideas
1. American Flags
If you don’t know how to decorate for Memorial Day this year, let's start with the flag. The American flag is a powerful symbol of patriotism and can be used in many ways to decorate your home for Memorial Day. Hang a large flag on your front porch or front yard to show your support for our country and troops. You can also place smaller flags on tables, shelves, and other surfaces throughout your home. If you're feeling crafty, you can even make your own American flag decorations using materials such as construction paper, fabric, or paint.
2. Vintage Lanterns
Nothing says America like blue and red, and if you're having an outdoor party, you're going to need to illuminate your porch. You can keep it more intimate by purchasing blue and red lanterns that are both stylish and useful.
3. Memorial Day Photo Display
Another great Memorial Day decorating idea is to make a Memorial Day photo display using a bulletin board or picture frame and display photos of loved ones who have served in the military or made the ultimate sacrifice for our country. You can also include photos of patriotic symbols, such as the American flag or eagle.
4. Patriotic Bunting
Patriotic bunting is a classic decoration for Memorial Day and other patriotic holidays. You can purchase bunting in red, white, and blue or make your own using fabric and ribbon in these colors. Hang your bunting from your porch, fence, or balcony to create a festive atmosphere.
5. Outdoor Lighting
Outdoor lighting can create a festive atmosphere for Memorial Day gatherings. Some of the most common are:
- String Lights: Hang patriotic-themed string lights in your backyard or patio to create a festive atmosphere. Look for lights that feature red, white, and blue bulbs or covers in the shape of stars, flags, or other patriotic symbols.
- Pathway Lighting: Illuminate your walkways and pathways with small solar-powered lights or candles in mason jars. You can also line the edges of your driveway with mini American flags or lights for a patriotic touch.
- Lanterns: Hang lanterns in your backyard or patio in red, white, and blue or with patriotic designs. You can use battery-operated lanterns or add candles to create a soft glow.
- Spotlights: Use spotlights to highlight patriotic decorations, such as American flags, patriotic wreaths, or other Memorial Day decor. You can also use spotlights to create a patriotic display in your front yard or home's exterior.
- Candleholders: Use patriotic-themed candle holders to display candles in your outdoor spaces. Look for holders that feature the American flag or other patriotic symbols.
6. Patriotic Centerpieces
Patriotic centerpieces can be a great Memorial Day decorating idea as they can add a touch of patriotism and respect to your home office decor. Here are some ideas for creating patriotic centerpieces:
- Flag Centerpiece: Use a small American flag as the centerpiece of your table. Place the flag in a vase or attach it to a small stand. In order to create a patriotic floral arrangement, you can also surround the flag with small white flowers or greenery.
- Red, White, and Blue Flowers: Use red, white, and blue flowers to create a patriotic floral centerpiece. You can use a mix of roses, carnations, daisies, or any other flowers that feature the colors of the American flag. Arrange the flowers in a vase or use a floral foam block to create a centerpiece that stands on its own.
- Mason Jar Candleholders: Fill small Mason jars with sand or pebbles and add a votive candle in red, white, or blue. You can also wrap a ribbon or twine around the jar and attach a small American flag or other patriotic symbols.
- Patriotic Candy Jar: Fill a clear glass jar with red, white, and blue candy, such as M&Ms or jellybeans. You can also add a small American flag or other patriotic symbol to the top of the jar.
- Military-themed Centerpiece: Create a centerpiece that honors military service members. You can use small flags, military-themed decorations, and photos of loved ones who have served in the military. Moreover, you can also include a small donation jar for a veteran's organization.
7. Memorial Day Table Settings
Set your Memorial Day table with patriotic place settings to create a festive atmosphere for your guests. Use red, white, and blue dishes, napkins, and tablecloths to create a cohesive look. You can also use small American flags or other patriotic decorations for your table setting.
8. Patriotic Wall Art
Patriotic wall art is a great Memorial Day decoration idea, as it can add a patriotic and respectful touch to your home decor. Here are some Memorial Day decorating ideas for creating patriotic wall art:
- American Flag Wall Art: Hang a large American flag on a prominent wall in your home or outdoor space. You can also frame a smaller flag or create it out of wood or metal for a more rustic look.
- Patriotic Quote Wall Art: Use a patriotic quote or phrase to create a wall art piece. You can use stencils to paint the quote on a canvas or wood or make a printable quote that you can use as home furniture.
- Military-inspired Wall Art: Create a wall art piece that honors military service members. You can use a photo of a loved one who has served, military-themed decorations, or patriotic symbols, such as eagles or stars, for your cubicle decor.
- Rustic Patriotic Wall Art: Make rustic-looking wall art using weathered wood, burlap, or other natural materials. You can create a rustic-looking flag or use stencils to paint a patriotic quote on a wooden plaque for your desk decor.
9. Memorial Day Garland
Create a Memorial Day garland using materials such as paper, ribbon, or fabric in patriotic colors. Hang your garland on your mantel, staircase, recliner desk chair, or other prominent places in your home to show your support for our troops and honor them.
10. Patriotic Planters
Create patriotic planters using red, white, and blue flowers, or paint plain planters in these colors. You can use them to decorate your adjustable-height desk or backyard for a festive touch.
11. DIY Memorial Day Decorations
Get creative and make your own Memorial Day decorations using materials such as construction paper, paint, and ribbon. Some fantastic shelf decor ideas are to use paper chains in patriotic colors or make your own American flag decorations using paint and canvases.
12. Patriotic Mason Jars
Transform plain Mason jars into patriotic decorations by painting them in red, white, and blue or using ribbons in these colors to create a festive look. You can fill the jars with flowers or candy for your kids to enjoy throughout several days.
13. Patriotic Paper Lanterns
Make your own patriotic paper lanterns using construction paper or tissue paper in red, white, and blue. You can hang them from the ceiling or string them together to create festive garlands or beautiful desk accessories.
14. Memorial Day Balloon Arch
Create a Memorial Day balloon arch using balloons in patriotic colors. You can use a balloon arch kit or create your own by tying balloons with a ribbon or fishing line. Hang the arch above a doorway or use it as a photo backdrop.
15. DIY Patriotic Pillows
Make your patriotic pillows using red, white, and blue fabric. You can use a sewing machine or hand sew the pillows and add embellishments, such as buttons or embroidery, to create a unique look.
16. Memorial Day Chalkboard Banner
Create a Memorial Day chalkboard banner by cutting chalkboard paper or fabric into triangle shapes and using chalk to write patriotic messages or quotes. You can hang the banner on your mantel or above your ergonomic chair for a festive touch.
17. Patriotic Drink Stirrers
You can also make patriotic drink stirrers by using small American flags or cutting out stars from paper and attaching them to a wooden stick. Use them to stir drinks or as a decorative touch in your Memorial Day table settings.
18. Red, White, and Blue Flowers
Another great way to decorate your home for Memorial Day is to use flowers in patriotic colors. Red, white, and blue flowers, such as petunias, geraniums, and impatiens, can be planted in pots or hanging baskets and placed around your home. You can also create floral arrangements using these colors and put them on your dining room table or other surfaces.
19. Memorial Day Chalkboard Art
Create Memorial Day chalkboard art by using a chalkboard or blackboard and drawing patriotic images or quotes. You can also use stencils or templates to make them look much more polished.
20. Memorial Day Wreaths
Wreaths are popular for many occasions, and Memorial Day is no exception. You can make your own wreath using materials such as ribbons, flowers, and other decorations in patriotic colors. Hang your wreath on your front door or in a prominent place inside your home to show your support for our troops and remember those who have fought for our country.
In conclusion, there are many great Memorial Day decoration ideas that you can use to create a festive atmosphere for your home. From American flags and patriotic flowers to DIY decorations and photo displays, there are endless ways to show your support for our country and remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. Whether you're hosting a Memorial Day gathering or simply want to decorate your home, these ideas will inspire you to create a unique and personal touch for your celebrations.
Subcribe newsletter and get $100 OFF.
Receive product updates, special offers, ergo tips, and inspiration form our team.
Spread the word
We build office products to help you work smarter.
You May Also Like