If you’re here today, it means you have already decided to change your lifestyle and adopt a healthier work-life balance to become more productive. Leaving your traditional work desk for a standing desk or treadmill desk would be a great idea that satisfies workplace ergonomics. However, we know that while comparing standing desk vs treadmill desk, you must be thinking which one would be better for you.
If you think of ergonomics while comparing a standing desk vs a sitting desk, both these office standing desks do great in their jobs. But it is also true that both of them are good for specific purposes that make them unique. To make things simpler, we have shared the details of both standing desks and treadmill desks to help you judge which one you should buy. We have also shared their pros and cons as an add-on, so read further to dig in deeper about standing desk vs treadmill desk.
What is a Standing Desk? Its Pros and Cons
The standing desk is an ergonomic desk that is designed to avoid excessive sedentary behavior, which can be dangerous for your health. These desks are usually electrically powered and have programmable settings that allow you to adjust the height of the desk within a matter of seconds. You can adjust the height of these motorized desks to set the right angle between your line of sight and your monitor’s screen to avoid any strain.
These desks are available in a wide range of height adjustments so that you can easily adjust them to the height that suits you best and doesn’t put any strain on your neck or back. If you are a gamer, you may think of going for an L-shaped gaming desk, as that desk is just a variant of the same standing desk. Consequently, your routine becomes more dynamic, and you end up dividing your day into intermittent sitting and standing and being more productive.
Pros of a Standing Desk
- Your Productivity Increases – As a standing desk makes you more active, your heart rate tends to increase. Thus, you work at a faster rate and do the same amount of work in a much lesser time.
- Standing Desks Boosts Morale – A lot of workers used to feel bound to their work desks when they stayed in a fixed working position. But with the use of a standing desk, this sedentary behavior is eradicated, and workers move around as well. This makes them happier and boosts their morale.
- You Become Healthier – Standing desks eliminate the chances of various diseases and disorders. Chances of common health concerns like heart diseases, diabetes, muscle strain, blood pressure problems, etc., are reduced when you use a standing desk.
Cons of a Standing Desk
- People Find It Difficult to Adjust Themselves to a Standing Desk – People who are new to the concept of working on a standing desk often find it difficult to work this way. They are unable to divide their time between sitting and standing. Hence they become fatigued. Nevertheless, using a standing desk mat can provide some relief in this fatigue and help them adjust much more easily.
- Standing Desks are Not Suitable for People Wearing High Heels – Standing desks would take your heels away from you because those of you who wish to work on a standing desk should have more comfortable footwear to avoid workplace fatigue. So, if you are addicted to wearing heels, you would be sad knowing about this.
What is a Treadmill Desk? Its Pros and Cons
If standing is not enough for you, you can think of using an adjustable treadmill desk that can provide a more dynamic work experience. These desks are designed in a way that they are attached to a treadmill, so you can walk while working on them.
It can be seen as a great way to stay active at work while staying at your workstation. You won't even have to move around much; just stay at your workstation and chill. Since this is more like a workout, workers who are suffering from obesity can think of using them.
Pros of a Treadmill Desk
- Treadmill Desk Combats Health Risks – Since these desks, like standing desks, discourage sedentary behavior, they combat health risks. Muscle strains and health disorders like diabetes, heart diseases, obesity, etc., can be easily avoided by using these desks.
- Treadmill Desks Improve Your Focus – You would have noticed how workout sessions help you build a better focus; a treadmill desk does the same. These desks keep you more active and help you build a better focus. Thus, you complete your tasks sooner.
- Treadmill Desks are Great for People Who Don’t Get Time for Workout – Turn your work hours into hyperactive workout sessions. A treadmill desk is great for those office workers who do not get time for exercise.
Cons of a Treadmill Desk
- Combining Work and Exercise Can Make You More Stressful – Combining your work hours with exercise sessions would perhaps make you more occupied, and you would feel tired too often. This can even make you more stressed out at work and eventually affect your productivity.
- Not Everyone is Skilled Enough to Adjust the Right Walking Speed – It will take you some time to understand the mechanics of a treadmill desk. Thus, you might face difficulty in adjusting the walking speed in a way that it doesn’t make you feel tired sooner.
Standing Desk and Treadmill Desk – Which one is Suitable and When?
All of what we discussed above leads us to the question of which one would be suitable for our tasks when we have a standing desk vs walking desk. Well, between standing desk vs treadmill desk, a treadmill desk should be your priority when you want to do a little exercise while working. However, when you have to focus on a difficult task, a treadmill desk won’t be the right choice.
This is where a standing desk comes in a picture. A standing desk would be a decent option that you might think of going to have a more productive workday. This desk option would be a more robust workstation that would promote better health.
What we see upon this comparison of a standing desk vs treadmill desk is that a treadmill desk would be a good add on to your modern office furniture. However, this piece of office furniture won't be as good as a primary choice as that position is still enjoyed by a standing desk.
You May Also Like