Your workspace is where you spend most of your day. After many long hours in a drab office, it can be hard to find inspiration. A new movement in the decor world is to make a creative home office space. No matter your personal decor preference, there is something you can do to boost the creative vibe in your office.
In this article, we will cover:
- What is a creative workspace?
- Why should I make my workspace creative?
- How do I make my workspace more creative?
What is a Creative Workspace?
A creative workspace is a room or office in your home that inspires your creativity. While what you find inspiring may not be the same as someone else, many creative workspace ideas work for everyone. The key is finding a way to put your own unique spin on the design. There is no right way to trigger your creativity, so do anything that is right for you to make your own creative home office space.
Why Should I Make My Workspace Creative?
There are many reasons to incorporate a creative workspace design in your home office. Firstly, harnessing your creativity can help you be more productive at work. Secondly, working in a creative space can help boost your mood and make your workday fly by quickly. Finally, it's nice to spend time in a room you love. The good vibes spillover from your workday into the rest of your life, improving your overall well-being.
How Do I Make My Workspace More Creative?
There are some specific elements you can add to your office to trigger your creativity. Each idea can be done on a budget, or you can go all out and completely transform your office. You may want to incorporate only one of these creative office ideas or several. It's your office, so do anything that suits you best. Here are some of the best creative home office space ideas.
1. Add plants to your workspace
A close connection with plants is proven to improve your mood and overall well-being. Plants are available from most home improvement stores for a relatively low cost. If you are looking for a specific plant for your green home office, consider shopping at a greenhouse where they particularly order your plant. This is perhaps the easiest of the creative workspaces ideas to implement.
- There are so many plants; you can easily find one that meets your style
- You can get fake plants if you can't keep real ones alive
- Plants clean the air
- Plants make you feel connected to nature
- You can put the plants in exciting pots that match your decor
- You can get large or tiny plants depending on your space
- You have to water plants regularly
- Some plants are poisonous to house pets
- Plants can be messy (for example falling leaves or if a pet knocks one over)
- Plants can bring insects into the house
- You need to match your plant with the lighting (for example, some plants need bright light and others need darker spaces)
2. Hang art on your office walls
Art, whether professional or amateur, is a beautiful way to bring creativity into your workspace. Art is also one of the most personal creative office ideas. This is because art is subjective. What you like is unique to you, so find a picture that you find inspiring and hang it up on your wall. Alternatively, find several smaller pieces of art and hang it on your wall or place some framed art on your desk.
- Art inspires creativity
- You always have something nice to look at
- You are not locked into a specific type at art (for example you can hang wire art, a painting, photography, or inspirational quotes)
- Hanging art is easy
- You can match the frame to your match your style
- You can switch out pictures around your house if you get bored
- You need to patch holes in the wall if you want to move the art around
- Some art can be expensive.
- Depending on the size of the artwork, you may only be able to hang it in one spot.
3. Make and hang an inspiration board in your office
Inspiration boards are of the most popular creativity room ideas. Inspiration boards are large panels that are decorated with pictures and words of items you find inspiring. The images can be of family and friends, your dream car, a beautiful landscape, or anything else you think gets your creative juices flowing.
- You can see all of your ideas in one place.
- Inspiration boards help you stay on track.
- Seeing your ideas can help you come up with a newer, better idea.
- Building the board is fun and a way to express yourself.
- Images on the board can help you set goals.
- You may get overly focused on one idea from your board.
- It may not match with the rest of your office decor.
- You may feel bad if you don't reach one of the goals on your board.
4. Paint an accent wall
Accent walls are a significant trend in home office design. Balance out the neutral colors of your creative office space with an eye-catching accent wall. Paint one wall in your office, a color that gets your creative juices flowing.
- Your workspace features your favorite color
- It's only one wall, so you don't need very much paint
- It's a quick and easy change
- You can at any time change the color if you get bored
- You can add a funky design or stencil to customize your creative space design
- Proper painting requires prep work (for example washing walls, taping borders, and priming)
- You need to do two coats and wait for the paint to dry.
- Your office may smell like fresh paint for a few weeks.
- You need to move all of your furniture to paint.
- Your office may be in disarray for a few days.
5. Customize your tabletop
Custom ordering your desktop is a great way to trigger your creativity. Instead of purchasing a typical desk, you can try a DIY office desk by buying the legs separately and searching for a unique tabletop. Consider using natural wood, stained glass, or recycled materials for your desktop.
- You can find the perfect tabletop for your style.
- You can make your own tabletop (for example by repurposing an old door or a big slab of wood)
- You can choose the exact size of your tabletop (this is a massive bonus for small offices)
- May be more expensive to buy pieces separately
- Can be time-consuming to make sure your top and bottom are structurally compatible
- May have to pay shipping costs twice
- Your top and bottom may arrive separately
6. Add unique lighting fixtures
Lighting is one of the most underrated creative workspace ideas. Lights can completely transform a space, bringing it from drab to fab. Depending on your decor style, try adding an attractive light to your desk. Or for something more glamorous, install a chandelier on your ceiling. Choose a light fixture that inspires your creativity.
- Lights add ambiance and atmosphere
- Lights come in all shapes and sizes so you can easily match your decor
- You can put lights on tables, on the ceiling, on the wall, or freestanding on the floor
- Lights extend how late into the day you can use your office
- The lighting fixture can be costly
- You may need an electrician to install the lights
- You may need extension cords to move lights around the room
7. Add a recharge space
Sometimes all one requires to boost their creativity is a mental break. Create a break space in your office with a small coffee maker or teapot. Bring in some special office mugs to complete your corner. Anytime you need a boost in creativity, walk away from your work, make yourself a hot drink, and recharge your batteries.
- Make coffee or tea right in your office
- You have a dedicated break space/routine
- You can offer friends or coworkers coffee when they visit
- You get to buy a new mug and a new creamer set
- You may not leave your office for hours
- You need to buy a new coffee a maker
- You need to buy extra coffee or tea than what you have in your kitchen
- You have more dishes to clean
8. Add a small water feature
Water is known to bring a sense of calm and relaxation to a person. Sometimes, to be creative, you need to take a step back and let your brain relax. Consider adding a small water feature to your office. The sound of water can help bring your peace of mind and force you to relax and recharge.
- The sound and sight of water is known to have a relaxing impact
- You can find a feature that works with your style
- Water features are available in big or small sizes
- If you are handy, you can build your own
- Some water features are expensive
- You need access to a plug
- Your pets may try to drink from the water feature.
9. Make your space transformable
This is one of the most straightforward creativity room ideas. You may be able to do it with your current office. Essentially, the idea here is to move your office furniture around your office to freshen up space. Sometimes just rearranging the furniture can brighten up your room and spice up your mind.
- You are not locked into one design for your creative home office space.
- You can change up your office whenever you get tired of the current layout.
- You can buy many individual pieces instead of one entire set.
- You keep adding to your office design as you find accessories or furniture you like
- Your furniture choices may be somewhat limited.
- You cannot do this if you have built-in shelves or a built-in desk.
- Your office may feel like a work in progress as you may want to buy individual furniture pieces rather than a set.
10. Hang a whiteboard on your office wall
This is a simple creative office space idea to help your workspace trigger your creativity. Whiteboards are found in many offices, for a good reason. When you have an idea, write it down on your whiteboard. Leave it up for as long as you want and then erase it when you have moved on.
- You always have a space to write down new ideas.
- Seeing your thoughts written down can help develop your ideas further.
- You can have small meetings in your office with a spot to write down the group's ideas.
- The whiteboard may take up a lot of space on your wall.
- You have to make sure to clean it regularly, so the ink doesn't stain.
- You need special markers and cleaners.
11. Have a fun stuff drawer
A fun drawer is perhaps the best of the creative workspace ideas. Everyone has a junk drawer in their house. This is a similar concept, except the drawer is filled with items that trigger your creativity. It could be some chocolate treats, pictures of a white sand beach, or handheld games. Open the drawer and pull out your inspiring charms whenever you need a creativity boost.
- You have your favorite treat right at your fingertips.
- You always have a way to get an energy boost.
- You can distract yourself for a few minutes when you need a break.
- You always have something to look forward to
- It's fun to buy small treats for your drawer.
- You need to restock your drawer regularly.
- You may get distracted by all the stuff in your drawer.
- You may need to clean your drawer regularly to make sure there is no expired food inside.
- Your family makes sneak treats out of your creative home office space drawer.
There are so many creativity room ideas that you can indeed find one that works for you. Each person is unique, so you don't need to follow any rules when designing your home office. Implement some or all the above creative office ideas to trigger your creativity. It's your office, so don't hold back.
Get exclusive rewards
for your first Autonomous blog subscription.