Table of Contents
Finding the right lumbar support chair is more important than you might think. If your job entails spending hours on end at a desk, then you will need to ensure that your chair is just as supportive as it is comfortable.
Lumbar support has gained much attention in recent years, and for good reason. In our opinion, it is an essential component in an office chair because it can be pivotal in preventing back pain that can result from sitting for several hours.
If you are searching for an office chair that provides the correct kind of support to ensure that your back is adequately supported, then you have come to the right place. In this article, we will talk about the benefits of lumbar support and offer our top recommendations based on the findings of our own test.
What Is Lumbar Support?
Before we go any further, let’s first make sure that you know what lumbar support is.
The human spine has an intelligent design that allows you to move, gets your nerves to various parts of the body, and gives your body structure. Because of its curvature, sitting on a chair can cause strain and discomfort.
That’s because the lumbar area of the spine (where your lower back is) bears a significant amount of weight and is prone to fatigue and stress when you sit down in one place for a long time.
Lumbar support is designed to fit into the curvature of your spine to provide much-needed support for your lower back. It relieves this stress and strain and reduces the chances of pain and fatigue.
Moreover, lumbar support promotes healthy spinal alignment by bridging the gap between the lower spine and the chair or surface.
This can be accomplished through a variety of methods, such as by using a lumbar support chair for your office, cushions, or adjustable support that complements the natural curvature of the lumbar region.
The Benefits of Investing in Lumbar Support
The truth is that a good lumbar support office chair can be beneficial for several reasons. In the section below, we’ll take a closer look at the many benefits of purchasing office chairs to support the lower back.
Promotes Good Spine Health
When you switch to a chair with lumbar support, you can ensure the health of your lower back. As we have already seen, not including such support can have a number of negative consequences for your back.
It puts strain on your muscles, resulting in discomfort and pain. However, by using a lumbar support chair for your office, you can keep your back healthy and pain-free.
Improves Your Posture
By filling out the gap between the lower curvature of the spine and the chair, lumbar support can improve your posture. This, in turn, helps to promote good spine health and prevent pain in the lower back area.
Provides Relief to Those with Existing Issues
Those with pre-existing back issues or injuries may benefit the most from a good lumbar support office chair. It could help to speed up the healing process in that area by providing additional support.
Have you ever had to stop working simply because sitting down was becoming too uncomfortable or painful? Well, investing in an ergonomic office chair or a lumbar support pillow for your office chair can prevent this. When you are comfortable, you can be more productive and get work done faster.
Where Should Lumbar Support Be?
The truth is that just having a lumbar support pillow for your office chair simply isn’t enough. To receive the full benefits, you will need to ensure that it is positioned correctly, but where should lumbar support be?
Lumbar support should be positioned to match the natural curvature of the lower back. The five vertebrae between the ribs and the pelvis make up this area in the lower part of the back. Lumbar support should be positioned in the small of the back, providing critical assistance in maintaining the spine's natural curve.
A correctly placed lumbar support aids in the prevention of slouching, improves excellent posture and lowers the risk of lower back pain and discomfort.
Choosing a Lumbar Support Chair for Your Office: How We Picked and Tested
The truth is that finding an adjustable chair that best meets your needs in terms of support, aesthetics, and functionality is no easy task.
To make matters worse, there are thousands of chairs on the market, all claiming to be the best ergonomic chair, so knowing which one to go for can be incredibly confusing. We put some of the top-rated chairs for lumbar support to the test to see which ones really lived up to their claims.
Here’s what we looked for:
- Adjustability. Perhaps the most important criterion on this list is adjustability. You want to make sure that your chair can be adjusted to suit the contours of your body. A chair that lacks this quality can be uncomfortable, even if it does have good lumbar support.
- Material and padding. Speaking of comfort, we also tested each chair to see whether it was comfortable enough to prevent fatigue. We recommend going for a chair with a cushion seat to ensure that you are comfortable, and we also looked for breathability because who wants a sweaty chair, right?
- Support for the whole back. Ideally, the chair you choose should also feature support for the rest of your back. Lumbar support should also cover surrounding areas for a more comfortable fit.
- Durability. The last thing you want is to find the perfect high-back chair for your office only for it to show signs of wear and tear after a few months of use. We looked for chairs that we made from high-quality materials.
- Tilt and recline. Sometimes, the best chair for good posture is one that allows you to rest your back. Having a tilt and recline feature is definitely a plus.
Top Eight Lumbar Support Chairs for Every Budget
In the section below, we review our top eight lumbar support chair picks to help you choose one that will suit your needs and your budget. We used the criteria listed above to pick and test each chair to ensure that we are only recommending high-quality options that we would buy for our own offices.
1. Autonomous ErgoChair Pro
The Autonomous ErgoChair Pro is the perfect option if you are looking for the perfect blend of ergonomics and aesthetics. It is fully adjustable and even offers a recline feature to ensure that you are fully supported, even when you need to rest for a minute.
It is feature-rich, making it a great option for those who are looking for great value for money. Plus, you get a discount if you purchase this office chair in bulk.
- Flexible lumbar support
- Made from eco-friendly materials
- Backrest is made from woven mesh for good airflow
- Adjustable armrest, headrest, seat tilt, and backrest
- Weight capacity of 300 pounds
- Recline with five lockable positions
|Great for those with back pain
|May not be affordable for some
|Suitable for just about any body type or size
|Allows you to recline comfortably
|Available in a number of different colors
2. Autonomous ErgoChair Curve
This ergonomic office chair with lumbar support is a fantastic option if you’re looking for the same kind of functionality as the ErgoChair Pro but at a more affordable price.
In addition to adjustable lumbar support, this chair also features an adjustable seat pan and height. It is breathable and comfortable and can support up to 300 pounds, making it suitable for a wide range of users.
- Contoured foam seat
- Back recline and adjustable lumbar support
- 3D armrests for greater comfort
- Mesh back for greater breathability
- Weight capacity of 300 pounds
- Comes with a lumbar support pan
|Designed for comfort
|Limited color options
|Fully supportive, making it great for all body types
|Good weight capacity
|Durable and high-quality build
3. Hon Ignition 2.0
This ergonomic lumbar support office chair is another option if you need basic functionality, such as armrests, adjustable height, a seat lock, and recline. However, it doesn’t offer the same kind of ergonomics as seen in the previous two chairs, so keep that in mind if you do decide to go with this chair.
- Adjustable lumbar support
- Weight capacity of 300 pounds
- Made from mesh material for breathability
- Mid-back or high-back options available
- Armrests, seat lock, and recline
- Adjustable height
HON Ignition 2.0 Ergonomic Mid-Back Task Chair
|Great lumbar support chair for your office if you’re looking for something breathable
|Good ergonomic design
|Does not offer as much adjustability
|Suitable for use between 8 and 10 hours per day
|Seat is made from plastic
4. Steelcase Series 1
If you have been searching for office chairs to support your lower back, then the chances are that you have come across the Steelcase Series 1.
The best part is that the chair is completely customizable, so you can choose the material and design to suit your preferences. However, this does come at a cost.
- Lumbar support comes standard
- Footrest and other great features available for greater comfort
- Available in a wide range of fabrics and materials
- Adjustable recline
- Two different styles of back support available
Steelcase Series 1
|Two types of ergonomic lumbar support for your office chair
|Durable and high-quality
|Host of features
5. Ergohuman High Leather Seat & Mesh Back
The Ergohuman High Leather Seat & Mesh Back chair is another great option if you’re hoping to prevent or help alleviate back pain.
- Waterfall seat design
- Adjustable armrests, back angle, back height, seat depth, and more
- Tilt tension control and tilt lock
- Pneumatic height adjustment
- Customizable design
Raynor Ergohuman Mesh Chair
|This chair is feature-rich, making it a good lumbar support office chair.
|The design of this adjustable lumbar support office chair may not be for everyone.
|It is available in two fabric options.
|It is extremely expensive, costing a whopping $1,764.
|You can get it with or without casters.
6. Branch Ergonomic Chair
Let’s come back to some affordable options because we know that not everyone has thousands of dollars to spend on an office chair.
This sleek chair from Branch comes with a seven-year warranty and offers a number of ergonomic features to help support your spine and your body.
- Removable lumbar support pillow for the office chair
- Fully adjustable
- Removable armrests
- High-density cushion to keep you comfortable when working for long hours
Branch Ergonomic Chair
|Does not have adjustable lumbar support
|Wide range of color options
7. SIHOO Doro C300 Ergonomic Office Chair
This affordable office chair is a great option for those looking for constant back comfort. It has a flexible chair back and 3D armrests for greater comfort.
- Features non-adjustable lumbar support
- Waterfall seat
- Headrest for head and neck support
Sihoo Doro C300 Ergonomic Office Chair
|No adjustable lumbar support for this office chair
|Good set of features
|Available in black or white
8. HBADA E1 Ergonomic Chair with Footrest
Last but certainly not least is the HBADA E1. This is the most affordable chair on this list, with a decent amount of lumbar support to help alleviate pain and fatigue. It is available with or without a footrest.
- Adjustable 2D armrests
- Made from high-quality materials
- Height adjustable
- Allows you to rock back and forth
- Adjustable headrest
HBADA E1 Ergonomic Chair With Footrest
|Great-looking ergonomic lumbar support office chair
|Defects and damages are not covered by the warranty
|Excellent adjustable features
|Lumbar support is not adjustable
|Designed for comfort
Well, there you have it! Our top eight office chairs to support your lower back. Overall, we recommend the Autonomous ErgoChair Pro. It is a feature-rich chair that is more affordable than many of the high-end chairs but is available without the high price tag.
Although an ergonomic chair might cost a little more, it’s worth the investment, as these chairs are designed to ensure that your body is fully supported as you go about your daily tasks.
We hope you found this article helpful!
You May Also Like