20 Picks of Desk Chair for Back Pain in 2022
Spread the word
If you are struggling with lower back pain, the reasoning for this may be poor posture. Office workers tend to sit for extended periods, the result of this may have adverse effects on your physical health. There is a lot of evidence that the use of an ergonomic chair reduces lower back pain. A chair with lumbar support and cushioning aids posture control and can help alleviate strain and provide relief for lower back pain.
With over 65 million individuals in the United States suffering from increasing back pain, it's only natural for designers to create equipment that is more in sync with our bodies, particularly workplace furnishings. Desk workers generally spend most of their work in an inactive, seated position, aggravating existing back problems.
Creating a simple decision to replace the current desk chair with the best computer chair for lower back pain will help you be much more relaxed and comfortable during the day. Ergonomically designed chairs with constructed back support are the greatest workplace chairs for increasing back discomfort. Amongst the chair and the natural inward bend of your vertebrae, the lumbar area, often known as your lower spine, requires support.
This assistance of the best office chair for back pain aids in the maintenance of a healthier posture. The general instinct is to slump or lean forwards without back support, forcing your spinal muscle fibers even harder to maintain proper spinal alignment. Which eventually ends up exhausting them.
Are you an office worker experiencing the discomfort of lower back pain? What is causing your lower back pain, and do you need a chair with lumbar support? Autonomous has your back covered. We offer some of the best office chairs lower back pain.
What is Lower Back Pain and What Are the Causes of Lower Bad Pain?
The lower part of your back is also known as the lumbar region. Lower back pain is felt below the waist. The straining of muscles, spine osteoarthritis, and sciatica are some of the common causes of back pain. All of these causes can be brought on by poor posture. In short, lower back pain can be caused by a single incidence which strains your lower back or from a prolonged strain whereby pressure builds up over some time.
Lower back pain is an ergonomic office injury, a common experience for the average office worker. Some reasons for lower back pain include extended periods sitting at a desk, working throughout the day with poor posture, an inactive lifestyle, and below-par ergonomics at a workstation.
Poor posture puts pressure on your entire body. This prolonged pressure causes straining that leads your muscles to twist into knots and contract. When your office furniture and desk set up is not built with ergonomics in mind, individuals tend to develop poor habits such as slouching back and forth in their chairs.
Suggestions to Reduce Lower Back Pain
If you are experiencing discomfort in lower back pain, there are various suggestions to reduce and alleviate your discomfort. Here are some of our useful tips to reduce lower back pain:
- Invest in an ergonomics office chair that has lumbar support. Purchasing an office chair for back pain is going to alleviate lower back pain in no time.
- To reduce lower back pain, apply an ice pack to the area where you are experiencing pain. The cold temperature is going to reduce the inflammation that may be the cause of the pain.
- Apply a heating pad, the heating pad soothes pain and stimulates blood circulation to the region of pain.
- A massage is a fantastic way of alleviating pain, it helps the muscles relax, promotes healing, and loosens tight muscles.
- Begin taking yoga classes. Yoga helps relax the body and mind and is known for strengthening muscles and the body.
- Invest in a standing desk. A standing desk such as the Autonomous SmartDesk Core is a great way to keep you physically and mentally fit. You can transition between a sit and stand position and alleviate a lot of pressure from your lower back as there are no long periods of sitting down.
Fixing Your Posture
There are 6 essential steps you can follow to ensure you have good posture.
- Be mindful of elbow positioning – begin by making sure your arms are directly parallel to your spine and resting your hands on your workstation. If you have a keyboard, your hands should be placed at a 90-degree angle.
- The space between your thighs and the edge of the seat – it is vital to keep your legs at the correct elevation when at your workstation. Check the space between your thighs and seat edge and adjust your seat accordingly.
- Low back support – your lower back region should have a slight arch at the lumbar curve and your bottom pressed towards the back of the seat. Having this seated posture takes the pressure off your spinal discs and alleviates lower back pain.
- Check your armrest – your elbows should be resting gently on the armrests and your shoulder would feel slightly lifted.
- Check your eye level – when sitting at your workstation your eyes should come straight into contact with the screen monitor when looking straight ahead.
The Pros and Cons of Using an Ergonomic Office Chair
As an office worker, you spend the bulk of the workday sitting in an office chair at your workstation. By using an ergonomic chair with lower back support, you can avoid the discomfort of lower back pain and ensure good posture. Ergonomic chairs such as the ErgoChair Pro are one of the best chairs for lower back pain. The benefits of using an ergonomic desk chair include:
- Extreme comfort and lumbar support for office workers while in the chair.
- Features such as armrests, adjustable height, and 360-degree swivel motion assist in promoting the best posture for you and allow for easy movement around the office.
- The adjustable features of an ergonomic chair have proven to improve moods, boost energy levels, and increase productivity.
- The design of Autonomous ergonomic office chairs focuses on providing lumbar back support, spine protection, and comfortability. Helping prevent neck and back pain, also avoid blood circulation issues.
- Upright spine – your spine is what supports your entire body. It is what allows you to keep your balance and stand upright. Furthermore, a spine is the body’s central pillar and maintains all the internal organs in place as well as allows blood circulation around the entire body. An ergonomic office chair with lower back support and lumbar support assists your body’s central pillar to do these functions.
- Prevents poor digestion – over some time, poor posture can harm your gastrointestinal system and your body's metabolism. An ergonomic chair assists in keeping your body's posture upright and assists your internal organs to function properly.
- Breathing – having poor posture at your workstation can compress and restrict your breathing. When your diaphragm is restricted it prevents you from taking deep breaths. When you do not take full, deep breaths it can lead to a compromised oxygen supply. This, in turn, impacts your cognitive processing and problem solving as well as increases fatigue. Ergonomic office chairs such as the ErgoChair 2, the ErgoChair Pro+, and the ErgoChair Recline help keep you on the alert and ready to tackle your workload.
- Enhanced mood – by using an ergonomic chair at your workstation you ensure good posture. Good posture can positively impact your confidence, self-esteem, boost productivity levels, health, and happiness.
Desk chairs for back pain provide numerous other benefits as well, nonetheless, as with most things in life, there are certain downsides and drawbacks. The disadvantages of ergonomic office chairs include:
- The appearance selection of ergonomic office chairs is limited. The design of the chairs does not come in a variety of colors and styles. Nevertheless, the general design and appearance of an Autonomous ergonomic office chair still add a sleek look to most work environments.
- The design and technology of an Autonomous ergonomic office chair are of high-end premium quality. This can make the price for an ergonomic low back chair a tad hefty. That being said, the benefits of an ergonomic chair for lower back support outweigh the cons and the risks of not having a best office chair for back pain. The purchase should be seen as an investment for office workers to improve productivity, increase energy levels of themselves and their work environment and ensure the best posture.
Finding the Best Office Chairs for Lower Back Pain
When you are making the purchase of a best office chair for back pain make sure you are using the following universal criteria and considering these tips:
- Upright posture – If your ergonomic desk chair is causing lower back pain – say no and replace it. Autonomous has a variety of options for the average hard-working office worker to choose from. An ergonomic chair must also support and protect your spine and posture. Lumbar support is a vital feature, an ergonomic chair with lower back support ensures the natural curve of your spine is protected.
- The adjustability of an office chair – every office worker is a unique size and shape; therefore, an adjustable chair is the best way to go. The best ergonomic chairs all have customizable functions to support and fit all body types. Features on the chair such as armrest position, back tilt angle, headrest angle, seat tilt, tilt mechanism , tension, and height should all be adjustable functions to help you find your comfort zone.
- Office Chair Materials – when you are considering buying an ergonomic chair, examine the office chair fabric which is used. The best office chairs for lower back pain are made with a soft, comfortable and durable fabric on the seat cushion, breathable mesh fabric on the headrest, and finished off with robust steel frames as well as high-quality plastic.
- Seat Height – your ergonomic desk chair must offer a height range that allows you to find your comfort zone. Your knees should be bent at a right angle and your feet should be flat on the ground. The armrests on your seat must allow for your arms to rest at a 90-degree angle as you use your mouse and keyboard.
- Comfort – an obvious but often overlooked tip. The seat which you are going to be working on for long periods of the day needs to be comfortable and support your posture. The range of autonomous ergonomic chairs is crafted from quality materials such as long-lasting memory foam, supportive springs, premium mesh covering, and elastic TPE to ensure lasting comfort.
- Wheelbase – take note of your office floor when choosing an ergonomic chair. The wheels on your seat should be appropriate. For example, if your office has a carpeted floor you are going to need the appropriate wheeling for your ergonomic chair.
What Are the Best Office Chairs for Lower Back Pain?
The market for ergonomic chairs is quite vast. Many companies claim to have the best ergonomic chairs for lower back pain. The task of finding the best ergonomic chair for lower back support is therefore challenging. Autonomous has done the bulk of the search for you and we have put together some fantastic options to help you choose the best office chair for back pain.
Lumbar support is vital when looking for the best office chair for lower back pain since it relieves the strain and strain on your lowest spinal column. Some backache desk seats provide built-in ergonomically designed support for your head, shoulders, and arms. These chairs offer a higher backrest and are larger. Such seats may be ideal for your workplace in size and character.
There are several mid-back level office chairs for back problems that give top-quality comfort in a much more compact shape if you are short on the room or want a sleeker style. Some office chairs have the option to recline, which is a useful property for back problems. It's occasionally comfier to recline at a modest angle, and it makes the seat look more natural to remain seated in.
Nonetheless, you would also like the reclining armchair to accommodate your typical back curve rather than leaving you slumped over or asleep. Therefore, we've collected multiple best desk chairs for back support that are likely to satisfy your spine's and your workplace's unique requirements.
We have selected 20 of the best office chairs with back support that offer you lumbar support, increase your output and productivity, improve your posture, and promote many more benefits.
1. The Autonomous ErgoChair Pro
The ErgoChair Pro is considered one of the best desk chairs for back pain on the market when it comes to lumbar support. The design of this seat incorporates a flexible lumbar system and customizable user preferences.
Fully adjustable, completely supportive, and super breathable. This one has it all.
2. The Autonomous ErgoChair Pro+
This office chair for back pain has a distinctive fishbone design and ErgoChair Pro+ is designed with the alleviation of back pain in mind.
Our most dynamic chair. Inspired by movement, engineered for those who want to move more.
3. The Autonomous ErgoChair Recline
ErgoChair Recline allows for its user to recline instantly and guarantees comfort. It is a good option for your best computer chair for lower back pain.
When it comes to getting work done, ErgoChair Recline means business and when it is time to rest, simply lie back, relax, and put your feet up.
4. The Autonomous ErgoStool
This specialized office chair is a cost-effective option for office workers. The ErgoStool provides excellent ergonomic features, assists posture control, and engages the core while seated. It is rated as one of the best office chair for lower back pain.
For low impact breaks from standing and a lot more fun while sitting.
5. Autonomous ErgoChair Core
This ergonomic low-back chair looks great in the office and comes close to many more expensive versions in terms of convenience and appearance. We believe the mesh backrest and the nice degree of back support that accompanies it are the advantages hereafter utilizing it for many days. Professional therapists have recognized this as an important parameter for determining if a chair effectively relieves backache. The backrest, headrest, armrests, length, and tilting of this best office chair for lower back pain under $300 are all fully adjustable.
Comfier than your couch and way healthier than your computer chair. Enjoy satisfying, tailored back support every time with this adjustable ergonomic office chair.
6. Ergonomic Chair: Hardwood Floors Caster
If you spend a lot of time at the workplace, a computer ergonomic chair for back problems that better support your body is a good investment. Our top pick is an Ergonomic Chair with Hardwood Casters. The curved cushion on The Office Oasis ergonomic mesh office chair adapts to your motions with ease, cradling and supporting your backbone and preventing you from sagging or slumping. We have discovered that this best computer chair for lower back pain holds you properly with knees significantly lower than hips and feet planted on the floor.
The Office Oasis Ergonomic Chair
Ridiculously comfortable office chair with smooth gliding rollerblade wheels. The mesh back and ergonomic design combine comfort with modern style.
7. Basic Office Chair by FinerCrafts
Office furniture is costly. Choose the FinerCrafts ergonomic chair if you're on a tight budget. Due to the obvious cheaper price, this best computer chair for lower back pain is budget-friendly without sacrificing ergonomic benefits. The seat is meant to reflect and maintain your back's inherent curvature and provide lumbar support to relieve lower back tension. You'll also like how simple it is to put this chair together.
Basic Office Chair by FinerCrafts
A premium ergonomic chair that is best paired with our standing desks. Ergonomically designed. Easy assembly. 5-year warranty.
8. Serta Ergonomic Executive Office Chair
This best office chair for lower back pain has high-end luxurious leather bonded ergonomics chair which has built-in motion technology to increase flexibility and improve core strength. This is an eco-friendly office chair that you can get to relieve your back pain. The AIR lumbar support not only cradles your tailbone but also helps you maintain a good posture. This ergonomic low back chair can carry up to 400 lbs of weight and comes with a 1-year warranty. The entire structure is of steel and covered with faux leather. Also, you can adjust the height as per your requirement.
9. OHAHO Gaming Chair
This is another best desk chair for lower back pain. This seat is the ideal ergonomic seat for computer work and gaming. The chair is designed to look the part and give you the needed support to achieve those high gaming scores. This chair also has the design of an office chair for lower back pain. If you are caught between mid-back vs. high back chairs, then you’ve to worry no longer. This chair is the best computer chair for lower back pain for any gamer. The entire body of the chair is of steel and covered with high-quality leather. This chair can easily carry up to 300 pounds. Along with the seat, the backrest is of a high-density sponge. The main reason it can hold up to 300 pounds is due to a heavy-duty wheelbase. Even if you are not a pro gamer, you can easily afford this chair.
10. URBNFit Exercise Ball
If you are looking for an easy way to relieve your back pain, this ball is the best computer chair for lower back pain solution. You can use this ball as a part of your exercise routine to correct your pain and posture. This ball has an anti-slip feature and can carry any weight. An interesting ergonomics chair that makes use of an exercise ball and a back support system. This is undoubtedly the best computer chair for lower back pain for those who enjoy exercises and yoga. This seat allows for various sitting options and offers anti-slip technology.
11. Modway Articulate Office Chair
If you want affordable chairs for bad backs, you can go for this one. The armrests and seat height are adjustable. The backrest has mesh design to give you comfort. The foam seat makes it comfortable for you to sit for long hours and acts as the best lumbar support pillow. The best chair for back pain has an adjustable height adjustment feature too and can carry more than 200 lbs of weight.
12. The Autonomous AvoChair
If you’re looking for the best desk chairs for back support that allow you to move freely, then AvoChair is the right choice for you. This chair can carry up to 250 lbs. of weight and comes with a 2-year warranty. With this best chair for back pain, you can take advantage of the back tilt angle. The elastomeric mesh makes sure that the heat isn’t trapped and your skin can breathe easily. This is one of the best office chairs for upper back pain. The adjustable tilt in the lumbar support allows the even distribution of one's body weight.
13. Steelcase Leap Ergonomic chair
If you want a highly comfortable office chair with a minimalistic design, then you can go for this model. The best chair for back pain is available with a red padded seat. The ergonomic office chair has a sturdy design, and it can carry the weight of any adult user. You don’t have to worry as it has a non-slip surface. The height of the chair is adjustable and is one of the best ergonomic low back chairs. Apart from workplace, you can use the chair at your in-house bar counter. The molded foam interior makes your buttocks comfortable while you sit.
14. Humanscale Ergonomic Office Chair
Do you have to spend long hours in front of your desktop? If so, then there are high chances that you've experienced neck/back pain at work in a chair at some point in time. To solve your pain problem, Humanscale brings one of the best office chairs for back pain. The Humanscale chair has a pivoting backrest design that allows you to rest your back without slouching on the desk. With this backrest, you can keep your back straight and maintain the correct posture. The lumbar support makes sure that you don't have any seating issues. The best chair for lumbar support can support up to 300 lbs.
Having back pain or neck pain has become common among many people. The main reason behind this back pain at work in a chair is that people don't maintain the proper posture while working/studying on their desktops. So if you want to correct your posture and avoid your back pain to come back; here above are the ten best office chairs for back pain.
15. Zipcode Mesh Chair
You may be amazed with this best chair for back pain. This mesh chair is equipped with lumbar support, is budget-friendly, and has a backrest seat that is designed to follow the curve of the spine. This chair is easy to assemble and one of the best office chairs for back pain. This chair gives you the utmost comfort and comes with a modern design. Unlike other chairs, you can go for different colored mesh backrests and the cushion. The wheels help you glide through one end of the room to the other, even on hard surfaces. You can adjust the four features of this chair, the seat angle, height, back angle, and armrest, to your comfort. You can easily adjust them with the manual buttons present. The price of this chair is quite affordable.
16. Tempur-Pedic TP9000 Mesh Chair
This seat is designed with long-lasting memory foam for extra comfort. It is a good office chair for back pain. If you are looking for the best office chair for back pain, then this is the chair for you. If you're a short heighted person, then you can surely go for this chair as you can adjust its height as low as you want. The chair's cushion gives excellent support for your lumbar portion. The armrest is not only properly padded, but one can also take out the armrest if not needed. You can recline the chair to 135 degrees and swirl 360 degrees.
17. Herman Miller Ergonomic Chair
Do you want the best chair for lower back pain with stylish design? If yes, this chair is for you. This mesh chair is designed for developers who want to take customization to the next level and boasts a range of luxury ergonomic features. If you want your chair to be luxurious as well as comfortable, then this best chair for lumbar support is the one for you. This chair comes with a mesh backrest that allows proper airflow. You can adjust not only the height but also the armrest and the tilt tension. The 2.5' dual-wheel casters will enable one to move the chair freely from one place to another. The forward seat tilt makes sure that you don’t have to slouch and do the work.
18. Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair Gabrylly
This best computer chair for lower back pain can assist in decreasing and avoiding back discomfort throughout your working time by providing four ergonomically designed support points just at the head, spine, buttocks, and wrists, as well as enhanced back support. For extra comfort, the perforated seat and backrest assist in circulating air. In other words, it should be comfy enough to remain seated for a whole eight-hour working week without sweating.
19. Ergonomic Office Chair Ticova
This ergonomically designed chair includes heated lumbar support, making it very easy to achieve a comfortable posture at your workplace, thanks to its tilting back and adjustable headrest. It also has back support and a multiple-layered seat cushion for further convenience if you're stuck to your workstation for most of the day. The cushioning also includes a W-shaped, waterfall-edge structure that helps give a greater surface area of assistance for your butt and thighs.
20. Ergonomic Desk Chair by FelixKing
A full-back desk chair is not the most realistic choice if your workspace is limited. Fortunately, this mid-back office chair is comfortable and small enough to fit into most workplace settings. The chair's customizable back covers your waist while still offering back support, allowing you to sit comfortably. You can also use the ErgoActive lumbar support pillow for extra comfort with this chair.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Are office chairs bad for my back?
It depends upon the type of office chair you’re using. If it’s not an ergonomic chair, then it’s gonna be bad for your chair.
2. Which chair is good for my back?
Ergonomic chairs are good for your back. These best chairs for lumbar support have the perfect design, which gives proper support to your lumbar region and your back. Sitting on these chairs improves your posture.
3. Is it better to sit without back support?
No, as one will end up slouching on the desk. And if you continue to sit in a bad posture, it will cause back pain at work in a chair.
4. Are recliners good for my back?
Yes, they are good for your back as it helps you to maintain an upright position.
The Final Verdict
Chronic back pain is quite frequent in the United States, with over 28percent of the total individuals reporting it. It is especially common in elderly persons, particularly women. As a result, having the ideal office chair or appropriately arranging your workstation to improve back health is critical. It's a growing issue many workers have dealt with over the years.
People frequently utilize whichever office chair is offered at their employment or any armchair that seems to be accessible at home. However, the key to selecting a decent desk chair for back problems is figuring out which one is right for you—which you won't know unless you try it.
Furthermore, whenever you purchase a desk chair, do not forget to check out autonomous offers, especially for the Autonomous Employee Purchase Program (EPP), a great discount initiative for employees who have started to work from home. Moreover, they also offer EPP for Developers/Programmers, which is a discount, especially for their programmers.
Similarly, the Autonomous also offers EPP for government officials, teachers, and students. These discounts help you purchase your favorite products without worrying about your budget. The prices of all products become reasonable.
Numerous office workers experience the discomfort of lower back pain. Sitting in the same position at your workstation with poor posture can have many adverse effects. By investing in an office chair for back pain, you can reduce lower back pain and alleviate that discomfort. If you have any questions about the best computer chair for lower back pain and lower back support – please feel free to comment below or contact us via email.
Spread the word
We build office products to help you work smarter.
You May Also Like